Frequently asked questions for Family Assistance

Q. Can I get financial assistance if I have savings or a GoFundMe page?

A. No. The funds we hold in trust for families are only available to families that do  not have access to ANY other funds to pay their bills including and not limited to savings, redraw on their mortgage and fundraising pages like GoFundMe.

Q. Can Kids with Cancer Foundation help with Rent or Mortgage

A. Yes.

Q. I live in a private rental, can I still get assistance with my

A. No. Funds to cover rent can only be paid into a Real Estate Agent’s business account, not into a private account.

Q. Can Kids with Cancer Foundation help with the payment of
utility bills?

A. Yes. As long as the “bill period” has commenced “after” diagnosis and are in the “direct” parent’s names only.

Q. Can I get help with my car expenses?

A. Yes.

Q. Can I get help with Groceries?

A. Yes. Through a Coles or Woolworths Grocery ONLY voucher

Q. Can I get help with petrol vouchers?

A. Yes. We can supply a prepaid AMPOL Petrol only voucher

Q. My child is losing their hair. Can we get help towards a wig?

A. Yes. Our Wigs 4 Kids campaign is solely there to help provide funds towards wigs especially made for kids with cancer. We have partnered with Sandra from Ella Wigmakers who accepts hair donations from all over Australia and makes them into wigs to suit the kids. We cover the full cost of getting the wig made and
supplying it to the child.

Q. Can I get help with house utilities for an investment home or a home I don’t reside in?

A. No.

Q. Can we get help with our own business expenses?

A. No.

Q. Can I get financial assistance towards a funeral if my child passes away.

A. Yes.

Q. Can I get help directly from Kids with Cancer Foundation?

A. Only if a referral on your behalf has been received and approved and you have then been nofitied by your Social Worker or Welfare Officer via an email link.

Q. Can Kids with Cancer reimburse me for bills already paid?

A. No.

Q. Can I get help to pay off my credit card?

A. No.

Q. I live with extended family or friends and don’t have any utility bills in my name. Can I still get assistance with these bills.

A. No. ALL bills must be in the direct parent’s names only

Q. My child has finished treatment, can we still get help?

A. Yes. With bills that where incurred during the treatment time.

Q. I am staying at Ronald McDonald House. Can I get assistance with any out of pocket expenses with accommodation here?

A. No. Ronald McDonald House is a charity too. We don’t give our own charitable funds to another charity.

Q. Does Kids with Cancer have a dollar limit of assistance they provide to families?

A. Once you have reached $2000 in financial assistance you will be referred back to your Social Worker or Welfare Officer for review, taking into account your ongoing situation and treatment journey.

Q. How long does it take to process a request and pay a bill?

A. We try to approve requests within a 48 hour period and have them paid just as quickly or closer to the due date to ensure families need not worry.

Q. Why do I have to give my personal information in detail and how is my personal handled?

A. We understand and respect your privacy. We use your information to assess eligibility for the program. Kids with Cancer Foundation has a privacy policy which can be found via the following link